The United Kingdom’s Asbestos Removal Contractors Association has developed a new app, which rates the safety and performance of workers on sites where asbestos has been identified.
The app offers members the opportunity to rate the performance and behaviour of workers contracted by the organisation, and hold workers to account for safety standards.
The association said: “Having an overall performance rating available for an operative, as well as certificate information, available in one app, will provide the contractors with a better understanding of the competency of an agency operative before they arrive on site.”
ARCA chairman Jason Davy said: “The Association has a membership of virtually half of all licensed asbestos removal contractors in the UK, and many have told us that their biggest issue is the quality of labour. That is the competence, knowledge, skills and behaviour.
“Therefore, supporting better performing labour became a key goal for us. The question was how? ARCA already delivers asbestos training, and has developed and provides qualifications, needed by the industry.
“So, we held discussions with some member contractors and labour supply members, which resulted in ARCA taking the initiative to resource the development of a performance feedback app.”
According to the ARCA, the app will include the following features:
- Reassurance of labour competence – being able to view an overall performance rating provides reassured of the competency and attitude of an operative.
- Performance feedback – an ARCA Member Contractor can rate an operatives’ performance across nine categories, with ratings used to calculate an overall performance rating.
- Identifies training needs – feedback can support an operative’s development and future selection.
- Automated system – using ALFA labour supply agencies can manage jobs and assign operatives, and contractors can view assignments and operatives’ information.
- Certificate management – certificate information for operatives is immediately available within the App and ALFA highlights certificates due to expire, so supporting renewal management.