An asbestos contractor has been fined by the South Australian safety regulator after it exposed workers to asbestos.
The principal contractor was fined for failing to review an asbestos register, and workers then carried out demolition work and were exposed to asbestos in the process.
The investigation by Safework SA found that the asbestos register was readily accessible to the company, and showed the presence of asbestos for the area of the site being demolished.
The contractor was found to have failed to review and take the necessary action to revise the register prior to work commencing.
SafeWork SA Executive Director, Martyn Campbell said; “Asbestos legislation and licensing exists for the protection of workers and others engaged in such work, and for the protection of the public”.
The contractor was fined $3,600 for the exposure.