The worker was transported to hospital, where his hand was able to be reattached. The worker was unable to return to work due to complications in his recovery.
It was heard in court that Diamond Valley Pork was aware of, and had identified, the risk of the waste chute, and had subsequently installed a guard over the chute, but it was found to be inadequate and didn’t fully protect workers.
Within one day of the incident, a different guard was installed.
Julie Nielsen, WorkSafe Victoria’s Executive Director of Health and Safety, explained that the safety protections in place for plant equipment and machinery should not be left to the discretion of workers.